Sunday, May 30, 2010

Garlic Hearth Bread

This flatbread is strictly for garlic lovers! Yes, it is full of garlic flavour and for those who loves garlic would definitely love this flatbread. For those who can't stand garlic would probably run off by the smell of it! How does my family fare to this flatbread? I made it in the evening and finished by morning! My family loves garlic and this flatbread can be eaten plain as it is with all the garlic flavours in every bite. I ate this with some leftover sambal petai. It's really good together.








The garlic (one bulb 0nly, believe me it is enough for that wonderful garlic flavour and aroma) has to be roasted first. I chose the biggest bulb I have. I was tempted to roast two bulbs but afraid that the taste might be too garlicky. I'm glad I stuck to one bulb, the flavour is just right. After that, it is a simple process to a flavourful garlic flatbread.

The next time when I'm making this, I will add some cheese as suggested by the recipe book under their "variations". If you love garlic, give this a try, it is great with sambal!

Garlic Hearth Bread
(adapted from 500 pizzas & flatbreads by Rebecca Baugniet ~ Page One)
Ingredients :
1 head fresh garlic, top removed
105ml (7 tbsp) plus 5ml (1 tsp) extra-virgin olive oil
400gm (14oz) strong white bread flour
10ml (2 tsp) easy-blend dried yeast
10ml (2 tsp) salt
325ml (11 fl oz) warm water

Method :
  1. To prepare roasted garlic, preheat oven to 190C (375F/Gas Mark 5). Place head of garlic on large square of foil. Drizzle oil (1 use about 1-1/2 tbsp) over garlic and wrap foil around garlic, twisting at top to make neat parcel. Place in oven for 45 minutes. Leave to cool, then squeeze garlic out of skins into small bowl. Mash garlic and stir in 30ml (2 tbsp) oil, until smooth.
  2. To prepare hearth bread, place baking stone or tiles on middle rack and preheat oven to 200C (400F/Gas Mark 6).
  3. Place flour, yeast and salt in large bowl of standing mixer. Combine olive oil and warm water in measuring cup. Slowly incorporate tablespoons of oil mixture into flour, then change to dough hook attachment and knead for 5 to 6 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Turn dough into lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film, and place in warm spot to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
  4. Knock dough back once to deflate and turn onto lightly floured board or counter. Using sharp knife, divide dough in half. Using fingers or rolling pin, shape first piece into oblong shape, roughly 25 x 15cm (10 x 6 in). With fingertips, dimple surface of dough, and spread half roasted garlic on each piece. Cover breads with a few overlapping damp paper towels and set aside for 20 minutes.
  5. Lightly flour pizza peel. Gently shake hearth breads, one at a time, onto baking stone or tiles. Bake for 20 minutes, until puffy and golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and cool for 20 minutes.
my notes : - when mixing oil and water mixture to flour, gradually pour until dough sticks together. I did not finish all of the mixture, there was about 70ml extra as the dough is becoming a little bit sticky. - I do not have baking stones or tiles, I use a baking tray instead. - I do not have a pizza peel either. I use the back of two round baking trays, with the help of a floured spatula when transferring dough to baking pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment