Monday, October 11, 2010

Apple Cider Cupcake

Apple Cider Cupcake, just as the name itself, this cupcake is extremely soft and moist with the taste of the apple cider, delicious! This great recipe is from one of my favorite cupcake book, "Tempt Cupcakes To Excite by Betty Saw", one of our well-known local chef.  I have made at least 6 recipes from this book and all of them turned out moist and delicious. If you happen to have a bottle of apple cider vinegar in your pantry and some forgotten green apples in your refrigerator, then take them out and whip out this delicious cupcake. Take a break and enjoy it with a cup of hot tea.








I'm linking this to Cookbook Sundays at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen and Potluck Sunday at Mommy's Kitchen.

Apple Cider Cupcake
(adapted from "Tempt Cupcakes To Excite" by Betty Saw)
Ingredients :

25gm butter
50gm granulated sugar
2 small (125gm each) green apples, peeled, cored and diced into 0.5cm cubes
175gm self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
120gm butter, at room temperature
110gm brown sugar (I use 80gm)
grated lemon rind from 1 lemon
2 large eggs (70gm each)
3 tbsp cider vinegar
50gm sultanas

Topping :
grated fresh white coconut (I omitted this)

12 large paper cases

Method :
  1. Line muffin pan with paper cases.
  2. Heat butter and sugar in a non-stick saucepan. Stir until butter melts and sugar begins to brown. Add apples and stir until combined. Set aside to cool.
  3. Sift self raising flour, baking powder and mixed spice together.
  4. In bowl of electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  5. Fold in dry ingredients alternately with cider vinegar. Stir in apple butter mixture, one third at a time. Fold in sultanas.
  6. Spoon mixture evenly to fill paper cases. Level surfaces with a teaspoon. Sprinkle over some grated coconut.
  7. Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 20-23 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a wooden skewer.
Note : Do not over brown sugar with the melted butter or the caramel will harden into lumps when apples are added.

(my notes : I omitted the grated coconut topping, as I do not have any. I think it will taste really great with this cupcake)

26 comments:

  1. These cupcakes do sound delicious, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful Autumn treat-so nice. This would be perfect with a hot cup of cocoa or coffee. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect fall flavors...They do indeed look incredibly moist, and with such warm lovely flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow so many flavors in one cupcake ...looks super soft n can feel the taste ...

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cupcakes look heavenly and so perfect for Fall. I can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cupcakes sound so delicious! I have lots of apples right now so this is a perfect recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are great for autumn! I thought they were made with "apple cider"....then I took a look at the listed ingredients, there are apples and cider vinegar in the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the cupcakes look soft and moist. Beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrumptious and gorgeous looking cupcakes..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking cupcakes. I wish I could have one with my tea right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really moist and delicious. Perfect for this time of the year with apples in abundance right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They do sound delicious and look so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are perfect for Fall. They look so moist and delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This definitely looks yummy my friend! I would love to have that some now...;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great! Perfect fall treats. Although I might skip the coconut too - they look just perfect as is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a whole lot more posts here than in the 'Potted' one. You enjoy making us hungry, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful, tasty-looking cupcakes. I never think to use apples for recipes like cupcakes or muffins. I usually just make pie. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe at Cookbook Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Everyone,
    Thank you friends, for your lovely comments!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this and your blueberry yogurt cupcake is making me so hungry! and Yes, I did move, but didn't get to try the tomatoes T.T but I did get a new pineapple! I will post that up later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't it great to find a cookbook that you find soooo many wonderful successful recipes in!

    Your question on my Cottage Cheese Bread has got me thinking. I bet you you could substitute plain yogurt or sour cream for the cottage cheese. Are those 2 items more available to you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Watering my mouth again...its look very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delicious muffin! They remind me of apple cider donuts! What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These cupcakes look really delicious. The use of apple cider is very innovative.

    ReplyDelete