Monday, October 15, 2012

Almond Milk Jelly with Mandarin Orange

Almond milk jelly is one dessert that is usually served in Chinese restaurants, usually at the end of a wedding dinner, as a sweet ending to a wonderful meal. The almond jelly are served cold, in iced watery sweetened syrup, sometimes with canned lychees or longans, and is really cold and refreshing. Almond extract are used for the flavour, if you are a fan of anything almonds, than you would like this. You may substitute the almond extract with vanilla extract if you prefer.



I made this over the weekend for our dessert. This version is served with mandarin oranges, but of course, since the season for mandarin oranges is not for a couple of months yet, I used the canned mandarin oranges.  You may use fresh sweet oranges if you prefer. Some freshly squeezed orange juice is drizzled over before serving.



The first thing you need to do is to cook the almond milk jelly. Water, fresh cream, sugar, agar-agar powder are boiled for about 8 minutes until the sugar dissoves. Here, I have reduced the sugar from the original 1 cup to 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons, which for me, is just right. You may adjust accordingly to your taste. Once the sugar has dissolved, I poured the contents into a 8" square baking pan, remove any bubbles that may appear on top. Leave to cool until it sets, cover and place the tray in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to chill. I placed the mandarin oranges and the orange juice in the refrigerator to chill so that everything is cold and nice when it is time to serve.



To serve, cut the almond milk jelly to cubes and portion to individual serving bowl. Top with some slices of mandarin oranges and drizzle some fresh orange juice over. You may add a teaspoon or two of the syrup from the canned mandarin oranges. 



Serve and enjoy! Cold and refreshing!


I'm sharing this with :


Almond Milk Jelly with Mandarin Orange
(Tropical Desserts, Devagi Sanmugam)
3-1/4 cups (800 ml) water
3/4 cup (185 ml) fresh cream
250gm (1 cup) caster sugar (I use 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons agar-agar powder
1/2 teaspoon almond essence
3 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented (I use canned mandarin oranges)
1 cup (250 ml) chilled orange juice (I use freshly squeezed orange juice)

  1. Place the water, fresh cream, caster sugar and agar-agar powder in a pan and bring to a boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantly until the sugar completely dissolves. Then remove from the heat, add the almond essence and stir to mix well.
  2. Pour the mixture into a 2-cm (3/4-in) high tray and leave it to set. Then slice into small cubes and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
  3. To serve, portion the almond cubes and orange segments into individual serving bowls. Drizzle a little orange juice over and serve.




20 comments:

  1. I've seen this dessert here everywhere but haven't actually tried it :P :D It looks deliciously refreshing ! Love the flavor combo .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet jelly treat! And, I love the mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely dessert, Joyce. It seems pretty easy to make too. You know how dessert challenged I am, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    Hope all is well with you and yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so pretty! I love almond jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love almond jelly with mandarin oranges... looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good, I love how pretty it looks. I wish I could taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had this during wedding dinner~ How come no one serves me with this sinfully delish dessert?

    Now I wait no more to be served, will try out the recipe and enjoy the jelly myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy bowl of fabulous dessert,just looking at and drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your almond jellies, Joyce & they look so well with the mandarin oranges. Eh, I'm very out leh as I never see canned mandarin oranges b4, there are canned pears, apricots, mangoes, peaches & pineapples in my local supermarket but mandarin oranges & by the looks of it, they don't look like canned food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay- now this is totally new to me and I am loving it! So cool you make this. I would love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this looks and sounds delicious! Kind of sinful! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, love your cold and refreshing dessert. This is really quite easy to do and would be perfect at dinner parties too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another delicious and refreshing creation! I love this dessert too and always have seconds if there are leftovers! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i almost forgotten about this dessert! never had it for so long..and i remember it being very smooth! yeah, a little almond extract would be nice for this dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so interesting I;ve never tried almond milk jelly, I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks refreshing. Should be nice for a very hot afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is another great idea for refreshing dessert in no time! Looks so inviting & yummy! I love almond milk but never thought of making jelly with it! Thanks for the recipe ! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyce,
    This is my favorite dessert. I love to have this with longan.
    Yours look so delish. Good idea, i can have a change of mandarin instead of longan all the time..:p
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete