Friday, January 4, 2013

Sour Potatoes (Khatte Aloo) : IHCC

"Appetizers" is our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from the Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. And I am enjoying all the yummies that I have tried so far!

I love appetizers! According to Madhur Jaffrey, "This is an adaptation of a street-side snack to be found in different forms all over North India". Street-side snack food certainly sounds interesting, definitely one of the attraction when we visit a foreign country, and to me, a definite must-try! So since I don't see myself visiting India just yet, I'll just have to try it at home for the time being.



This is very easy to make. I use only 2 medium sized potatoes, adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly to your taste. The whole potatoes are boiled ahead of time, left for about 2 hours to cool, then peel and dice.
Mix the potatoes gently with all the other ingredients, adjusting the salt and lemon juice to your taste.



Very nice, love the soury taste of the lemon juice and the soft potatoes coated with the cumin, pepper and bits of coriander. 



Serve this appetizer with toothpicks. 



Perfect for a get-together party, or just have it all to yourself!



IHeartCookingClubsMadhurJaffrey

Please do visit I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to view the different appetizers my friends are making.

I'm sharing this too with :



Sour Potatoes (Khatte Aloo)
(adapted from "100 Essential Curries", Madhur Jaffrey)
Serves 10-12
7 medium-sized potatoes, boiled ahead of time, and set aside for at least 2 hours to cool
1-1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh green coriander

Peel the cooled potatoes and dice them into 1cm (1/2 inch) cubes. Place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Check to see if salt and lemon juice are in correct proportions. To serve, place the potatoes on a platter accompanied by toothpicks. Serve with drinks.
#1/100


19 comments:

  1. I just love Madhur Jaffrey and these potatoes sound to die for!! wonderful, wonderful flavors and spices - bookmarked!!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love potatoes like those, really awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like the idea of serving these with toothpicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, these potatoes do look appetizing! I think they will be nice as a side dish as well. And so easy to prepare :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great as party snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such an appetizing appetizer - this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very attractive finger food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can eat these all by myself too! I'm going to boil up some potatoes this afternoon, so I have them in the fridge to make this again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little aloos... Looks so yum. Happy new year to ur family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joy,
    Just can't wait to try these potatoes, we will just love them. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. These potatoes sound like a delicious snack. I've never thought of serving potatoes as an appetizer but they would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent and attractive finger foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good morning joyce, cook more indian food, watch discovery channel india then you can imagine yourself in india for the time being..heehee..i think this is a great potato salad dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce, this looks very interesting, but regret have never had it before nor heard or seen. You sure very creative and very original too.
    Wishing you all the very best of the new year.
    Keep well, best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice idea for an appetizer! We will have guests tomorrow, and I have all the ingredients at home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like the perfect way to use up some left over potatoes - they look really delicious.
    Happy New Year to you, Joyce.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great flavors ! Love how simple it is to prepare this very tasty snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyce,
    I know I will love this sour potato.
    They look nice and easy to prepare!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wah best nya..i will also try this recipe eh.

    ReplyDelete