Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cheddar, Capers and Sun-dried Tomato Scones : Cook Like A Star

It has been quite a while since I last made any scones, and when I saw this recipe at Delia Smith's website, I thought I'll give it a try. Besides, this is where my Homemade Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil comes in handy, and the amount used is not much, but the scones are so full of flavour from the tomatoes, a little goes a long way!



Lovely golden brown!



The original recipe is actually called Feta, Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Scones, the ingredients used are, feta cheese, black olive and fresh thymes. I have replaced three three ingredients with what I have, cheddar cheese, capers and dried thymes. And they worked out great. 

I made half a recipe, and only need to use a piece of my homemade sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, with the oil drained off, chopped the tomato to chunky pieces. And I have used about 1 tablespoon of capers, drained. This recipe uses a small amount of the flavoured olive oil taken from the jar of sun-dried tomato. 

There's a small amount of wholewheat flour and some self-raising flour used. After everything has been added in and form into a soft dough, taking care not to over-knead the dough, the dough is rolled out, (I just spread them with my fingers), to about 1" thickness. I have used a 2" round fluted cutter for two pieces and decided to just gather the balance of the dough to made triangle scones instead of having bits and pieces leftover. I got 2 round scones and 5 triangle ones from half a recipe. These scones are rather small. 

Place the scones on a greased or lined baking tray, brush the top with some milk and top with some cheddar cheese. Bake in a preheat oven at 220C for 12-15 minutes at the topmost rack in your oven. I baked mine at 200C for exactly 12 minutes.


Transfer them to a wire rack to cool a little. Eat them while they are still warm, so good!



Nice and golden, with bits of the sun-dried tomatoes, capers and cheese. 


The texture is light, and so tasty! All the flavours from the tomatoes, capers, cheese and the oil blends together perfectly. I had these for my lunch with a cup of warm tea. Yums! 






This post is linked to Cook Like A Star, where this month's featured chef is Delia Smith, an event organised by my baking buddy, Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids together with co-hosts, Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out and Mich from Piece of Cake.

and...




I'm linking this post with Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Tomato, organised by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and hosted by my little favourite DIY.



Feta, Olive and Sun-dried Tomato Scones
(source from : deliasmith.com)
Makes 12
3 oz (75 gm) Feta, cubed small (I use cheddar)
10 black olives, pitted and roughly chopped (I used capers)
2 oz (50 gm) sun-dried tomatoes, drained of oil and chopped, reserve 1 tablespoon oil
6 oz (175 gm) self-raising flour
2 oz (50 gm) whole-wheat flour
1/4 level teaspoon baking powder
1/4 level teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use paprika powder)
1/4 level teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 level teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (I use 1/2 tsp dried thyms for half recipe)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk

For the topping :
milk for brushing
2 oz (50gm) Feta, crumbled (I use Cheddar)

Equipment :
You will also need a 2-inch (5cm) cuter and a small baking tray

  1. First sift the flours and baking powder into a large, roomy bowl, tip in any bran left in the sieve, then add the cayenne and mustard powder and, using a knife, work in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus the reserved tablespoon of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes.
  2. When the mixture looks like lumpy breadcrumbs stir in the chopped thyme, cubed Feta, olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
  3. Now in a separate bowl beat the egg with the 2 tablespoons of milk and add half the mixture to the other ingredients. Using your hands, bring the mixture together to form a dough, adding more of the egg and milk as it needs it - what you should end up with is a dough that is soft but not sticky.
  4. Now on a floured board, roll the dough out to a depth of 1 inch (2.5 cm). Then stamp out the scones using a 2 inch (5 cm) cutter, either plain or fluted. Put the cut-out pieces on a baking tray and brush them with the milk.
  5. Finally top each scone with the crumbled Feta, and put the tray on the highest shelf of the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes or until they've turned a golden colour. Then remove them to a wire rack until they are cool enough to eat.




get the InLinkz code

19 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    Oh! This scones comes just in time for my lunch!
    I bring warm tea along to enjoy this with you :D
    Thanks for sharing this with LTU.
    XOXO
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce,

    We hardly buy, bake or even eat savoury scones. I must admit that this combination of savoury scones sounds irresistible to me but wonder what my fussy son and husband will react if I bake these :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I think I will love these scones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce
    I happened to loves scones very much and looking at yours remind me that I have not bake scones for quite awhile already. Love to try out your scones one day as I have never use cheddar or tomato in it. Your home made sun dried tomatoes must taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those scones look wonderful ! The substitution you've used sounds perfect . I just can imagine the yumminess in every bite :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scones but dare not make this often:P Yours looks really delicious with those fillings sticking out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joyce, your scones are looking so perfect dear! I'm joining with a cuppa coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, this giving me water in mouth ! They look soooooo good ! Raally appetizing !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce, these scones look great! Love the flavours, especially feta and capers which goes so well with the sun dried tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, your tomato sun dried scones are so beautiful baked. I wish I can sink my teeth on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love scones. Looking at yours make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so this is how you used your sun-dried tomatoes! Clever pick, Joyce! The only time I had scones was in high-tea & I havent been to high tea for a long time now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic flavor combo for scones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, Joyce - I've never been able to master making scones - yours look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola kitchen, una propuesta muy nutritiva

    Saludos desde felicidadenlavida;
    Un saludo,
    Francisco M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love scones and these have such wonderful flavors in them! I could eat several :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Realmente lindo y deliciosos y babeando por uno me encanta,abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  18. this sounds like a great savoury kind of scones! i ike how golden brown they look too!

    ReplyDelete