Saturday, August 17, 2013

Choux Doughnut

There's a Choux Party going on at Foodie Baker! The lovely Jasline from Foodie Baker is the host for this month's Aspiring Bakers, and the chosen theme is "Choux!". Want to join the Choux Party? Drop by Jasline's for more info.

It has been ages since I've made any choux pastry, and I am not going to miss this one out. I was going thru my cookbooks looking for a choux pastry recipe,  found this simple Choux Doughnut, looks delicious coated with chocolate. 


The choux pastry recipe is taken from Alex Goh's "Irresistible Pastry", and he has used the stand mixer to beat the pastry. I have adjusted his method of mixing the pastry slightly, without using the stand mixer, similar to the Chocolate Eclairs which I have made before, here.




Once the pastry is ready, it is filled into a piping bag with a star nozzle (I have used a round nozzle), and pipe out into a round of 2" diameter onto 3-1/2" squares of greaseproof paper, which is to be greased generously with shortening, as the pastry will stick to the paper. I have however used a vegetable spray and it works out great.

Release the piped pastry gently over hot oil, it may overlap over itself, almost all of it do (more practise required!), but it is easily rectified by using a pair of chopsticks and gently position the pastry into a round again. Fry both sides until golden brown, which should take about 2 minutes each side. Remove to a kitchen paper towel to drain off excess oil. Let cool completely.



Melt some chocolate and coat one half of the fried choux pastry with the melted chocolate, leaving the other half bare. Place the coated choux pastry on a greaseproof paper for the chocolate to set. If you are like me, rather impatient to wait for the choc to set, especially in our hot and humid weather, it seems like forever that the choc would set, if it would set at all! Simply put the tray in the fridge for 10-15 minutes or so. 

Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving. Best eaten as soon as possible, as they do not remain crisp for long, but it will still taste great! And the chocolate would start to melt!


Choux Doughnut
Simply irresistible!


Choux Doughnuts
(adapted from "Irresistible Pastry", Alex Goh)
100gm butter
250gm water
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch of salt
150gm flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
250gm melted chocolate
  1. Place butter, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan over low heat to melt the butter slowly. Once the butter has fully melted, increase heat to high and let mixture comes to a rolling boil. Remove pan from heat and add in all of the flour, mixing vigorously until the mixture comes to a dough. Keep aside to cool for about 3 minutes. 
  2. Add in the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition until you have a smooth, shiny paste, which is thick enough to hold its shape. It may not be necessary to use up all of the eggs. Use immediately.
  3. Cut some greaseproof paper into 3-1/2-inch squares, and grease heavily with shortening. (I have used some vegetable spray).
  4. Place the choux pastry into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe one small ring of about 2" in diameter onto each piece of greased paper.
  5. Heat oil till hot. Slowly release the choux pastry from the paper into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on kitchen paper towel.
  6. Melt chocolate and coat one half of the doughnut, leaving the other half bare. Place the coated doughnuts on a greaseproof paper and leave to set.
  7. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
#77/100

Small Small Baker/Aspiring Bakers




 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg



and Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Eggs, hosted by Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out, and organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, together with Doreen from My Little Favourite D.I.Y.


23 comments:

  1. Wah..boleh lawan with Auntie Anne's Pretzels..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce, I would sure love to have some of those. In a way, these reminds me of churros. Thx for linking to LTU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. H Joyce!

    WoW, your cool looking choux doughnuts look amazing. I have a cup or morning coffee sitting right here by my side, I sure could use a dunker!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woow ...que ricas y lindas se ven con masa choux,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, those doughnuts are just torturing me..Who can resist to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely doughnuts andthanks for sharing yummy chocolaty recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce! Thanks for submitting this to Aspiring Bakers! I would love to have a big plate of this! Eat now, diet tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce , boy do those Choux Doughnuts look yummy , these is a must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look very well done, I don't like baking choux for the fact that they don't stay crispy for long....I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job with this challenge! I love fried dough of any kind but fried choux paste has a special place in my heart. My family would love these. I hope you are having a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Choux pastry is delicious. I've made it for cream puffs but have never tried doughnuts - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, this looks really yummy especially coated with chocolate, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! These look great, Joyce! But honestly I am too lazy to pipe the dough and then fry it. Which is a good thing, isn't it? Or else I will blow my diet again hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These donuts with chocolate sauce looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. something like churros? but i hv never tasted churros also, i just know that they are also like fried doughnuts..i think i might just be like you to put the whole thing in the fridge for the choc to set..impatient to eat ma..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried making choux yet though I've been eyeing several recipes for quiet sometime :P These choux-donut look irresistible and coating it with chocolate sounds heavenly !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Joyce,

    I know that you will die die must support Jasline... Me too! - LOL!

    These choux pastries are deep-fried. They look like doughnuts or churros to me but with lighter and puffier texture... I reckon they must be better than doughnuts and churros!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! This look fabulous! So tempting with chocolate sauce! YUM-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. very interesting and looks real delicious!

    ReplyDelete