Monday, June 16, 2014

Lettuce, Cucumber and Cherry Tomato Salad with Ranch Dressing

I made this salad a few weeks ago when we had this baked chicken for dinner. This is a really simple salad, easy and quick to put together especially if you are rushing for time when preparing the main dishes. Another lovely recipe from The Deen Bros.


Recipe uses romaine lettuce, though any lettuce can be used, and here I have used Green Coral Lettuce, with Honey Cherry Tomatoes and some Japanese cucumber.


The Ranch Dressing is so yummy, we love it! According to The Deen Bros., any extra dressing can be used as a dipping sauce for chicken fingers or chicken wings, and can be covered in the refrigerator for a week. We like all the flavours in the dressing; the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, minced garlic, chopped fresh chives, parlsey, mayonnaise, milk and white wine vinegar. The only thing I omitted was celery seeds, since I did not have any. I do agree with The Deen Bros., this dressing would be great as a dip for crispy fried or baked chicken.



To serve this easy salad, drizzle some dresssing over the salad, toss gently and enjoy! I would definitely make this dressing again, to enjoy with some fried or baked chicken the next time. 



Romaine, Cucumber, and Grape Tomato Salad with Ranch Dressing
(adapted from "Y'all Come Eat", The Deen Bros)
Dressing :
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons buttermilk (I use milk)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds (omit this)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced

Salad :
2 large heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 cucumber, coarsely chopped

  1. For the dressing, whisk together the dressing ingredients; set aside.
  2. For the salad, chop the lettuce into bite-size pieces; place in a bowl with the tomatoes and cucumber. Toss salad with just enough dressing to lightly coat the greens (reserve extra for another use). Serve immediately.

*************************


Cook Like A Star event, featuring Paula Deen and The Deen Brothers, hosted by Zoe of Bake For Happy KidsDiana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.







17 comments:

  1. Joyce, this dressing must be something like the dip served with Chilli's Triple Play appetizer. I must have bookmarked something from Paula Deen's because I saw onion and garlic powder on my shopping list LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Joyce! This bowl of salad is great to serve during this hot sunny day...I love your dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy food, not loved by my meat loving boys but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, looking at this bowl of salad has again reminded me to have a healthy eating habit! I have been eating out of control lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce, I love salad with simple dressing but I'd love to try this for sure. Sounds healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ya.. they always serve ranch dressing with buffalo wings, right? What a healthy looking salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous colours. I've never made my own Ranch dressing so thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce , what a lovely salad and I know the taste is terrific . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce, I love to see the green in this salad! The dressing is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love the sound of that dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks wonderful and the dressing sounds amazing. So fresh and clean

    ReplyDelete
  12. So light, fresh and perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce,

    I always thought that all typical American Ranch dressing has blue cheese but this one didn't and it looks very light and refreshing.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so easy to prepare! I just came back from a short holiday with the hb and kids and all I wanna eat is light and "clean" food - and this suits my needs to a T!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Joyce! I love making homemade dressings. This Ranch dressing looks good and I'm pretty sure I have everything needed. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always a fan of a good ranch dressing--on salad and as a dip. This salad and that dressing look refreshing and wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete