Tuesday, June 3, 2014

THB : Ginger-Trio Gingerbread

Time for our Bake#36 at The Home Bakers (THB). Ginger-Trio Gingerbread is selected by Emily of Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray for this week's bake. 

Even though it is called a gingerbread, it really is a cake, to me anyway. Whatever it is call, this cake is moist and good.


There are 3 different forms of ginger used in the cake. Ginger powder, fresh ginger and crystallized ginger. The spices used to enhance the flavour and fragrance of the cake are ground mustard, ground allspice, and ground cinnamon. The ground ginger and fresh ginger (which I've grated) was used in the batter, while the chopped crystallized ginger in scattered over the batter before baking. At first I thought that the cake would be too strong with all the spices and amount of ginger, but I was pleasantly surprised that the cake turns out wonderful, with a light fragrance from the spices and the taste is not overpowering with all the different forms of ginger. There's no sugar in the ingredients and it uses honey and dark molasses, again I do not like honey in cakes, but for this cake, it turns out really nice. 

And there's no need to use the stand mixer to to mix the batter. A bowl and a mixing spoon is all it takes! Really easy with minimal items to wash! 


The cake is moist with soft crumbs. I've made half a recipe, and the only changes I've made was to use only half of the dark molasses, which is 1/8 cup for half a recipe, instead of the original 1/4 cup. 



Very nice ginger cake. The chopped crystallized ginger on each slice is really nice, do not omit it, especially if you like crystallized ginger.  A slice or two of this cake is lovely with a cup of tea or coffee, I had mine with coffee.


*********************

For the full recipe and instructions, please visit the host of this bake, Emily of Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray. To view other members' bake, please visit The Home Bakers (THB).

Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas. This is our bake no. 36 and we have 24 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.



And I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up : June 2014 - Butter, organized by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids, Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Jozelyn Ng of Spice Up My Kitchen




15 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious - I love ginger so the more the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a moist and delicious looking gingerbread. I do love ginger. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love fresh and crystalized ginger, this cake sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce , gingerbread or cake , I love it so moist and yummy . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 types of ginger, wow!
    Joyce, would you like to link this up with LTU because I could see that this ginger bread/ cake contain butter ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smells like a lovely lovely spicy cake that is my kind of comfort foooddd

    ReplyDelete
  7. This ginger cake will certainly make a perfect tea cake! Love the idea of using different types of spices for a cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My!! Your cake is awesome and I so wanna make this again without forgetting the candied ginger!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome looking cake. Must have tasted delicious as well.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce,

    Sorry that I have to give this cake a miss... I should have planned ahead to bake this cake for my ginger-loving aunties :p Ai ya!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce! Zoe's aunts would love this! Oh, that's what she commented hee..hee..Me too will just admire this cake. Good for my diet hah...hah...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce, I like that "easy with minimal items to wash!". Think I will bake a very small gingerbread as my big kids not really like to eat ginger. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i dont; think it could look any more moist and buttery! LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore gingercake, Joyce...this looks so moist and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete