Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Vietnamese Pork Noodle Soup

It's Potluck Week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). We get to select any recipe, from any of IHCC featured chefs (past or present), and once again, I've cooked with Nigella. I like her recipes and her books are the most frequent ones I go to, for our Potluck week. I've made Vietnamese Pork Noodle Soup, for one of our weekday lunch.


Quick and easy to cook, and tastes great! For the noodles, instead of ramen noodles, I've used fresh yellow noodles, which just need a quick blanch in hot boiling water. I did not use baby bok choy, but have replaced with Chinese Choy Sum, the last batch of  choy sum harvest, from my container garden. They are tender and delicious!


I've made this for lunch, but it would be great as a one-dish meal for dinner, or even breakfast. We, Asians, love having noodles for breakfast!


Vietnamese Pork Noodle Soup
(adapted from "Nigella Kitchen", Nigella Lawson, or here)
Serves 2-4
10 ounces pork tenderloin, cut into thin discs and then fine strips
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons fish sauce
8 ounces ramen noodles
1 tablespoon garlic flavoured oil
6 thin or 3 fat scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh (or frozen) gingerroot
1 quart chicken broth (good-quality carton, can or cube is fine), preferably organic
3 cups (10 ounces) bean sprouts
2 small baby bok choy, torn into pieces
2 teaspoons chopped red or green chiles

  1. Put the strips of pork tenderloin into a bowl and add the lime juice, soy sauce, paprika and fish sauce, but don't let this stand for more than 15 minutes.
  2. Cook the noodles following the package instructions and then refresh in cold water. Heat the chicken broth until almost boiling.
  3. Heat a wok or a deep, heavy-based frying pan, then add the garlic flavoured oil and fry the scallions and ginger for a minute or so. Add the pork and its liquid to the wok, stirring as you go.
  4. Cook the meat in the pan for another 2 minutes, then add the hot chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil.
  5. Check that the pork is cooked through, then add the bean sprouts and baby bok choy. Add water if the soupy base has evaporated too much - about 1/2 cup of freshly boiled water should do the trick, but you may not need it.
  6. Arrange the drained noodles equally in 2 large or 4 small warmed bowls, ladle over them the pork and vegetables, and finally the soupy stock. Scatter the chopped chiles on top and serve.

I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
April Potluck



and 




15 comments:

  1. I am always envious of the bounty of your vegetable garden. You get so many satisfying dishes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful soup that I would simply love. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce,

    Hope that you had a lovely week.

    The weather is still mild and cool here in Melbourne... not exactly cold yet. After seeing your delicious noodle soup, I know what to eat when the weather get colder.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... looks so yummy! I think I will use meat or chicken, cause I don't eat pork

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this bowl of piping hot noodles looks so delicious. And it's so easy! Thank you very much for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of this one! Makes me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I NEED one large bowl of this delicious noodle soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a good noodle soup in too long. This one would hit the spot with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had anything like this for a long time. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must be Asian at heart--I love noodles for breakfast too! ;-) This looks so wonderful especially with your homegrown choy sum.

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks incredible Joyce! I would love a bowl for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Deb:) I love noodles anytime of day and have always longed for an excuse to eat them for breakfast! This looks so savory and satisfying. First time I've heard of choy sum - so nice that you grow so many items at home:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, this noodle soup looks fantastic. There's no doubt about it - Nigella is great for a quick and easy go-to meal midweek, and this one looks like an absolute winner. I would love a big bowl of that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Vietnamese noodle soup. They are just so light and refreshing but fulfilling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great Asian soup.

    ReplyDelete