Friday, November 4, 2016

Scalloped Potatoes with Feta and Roasted Garlic


At Cook the Book Fridays, recipe for this week is Scalloped Potatoes with Blue Cheese and Roasted Garlic. 

I have a pack of feta cheese which needed to be used up, so that goes into this dish, instead of buying a pack of blue cheese, as I'm trying to clear the "bits and pieces" stashed in my refrigerator and pantry. There's a lot of heavy cream used, all of 3 cups, but David Lebovitz has suggested that half and half can be used instead. I mixed an equal amount of heavy cream and milk to make 3 cups of half and half. 




Ingredients used are potatoes sliced into thin slices, chives of which I've used Chinese chives from my garden pot, blue cheese (I used feta), salt, pepper and the mixture of cream and roasted garlic.

Mine took about 1-1/2 hours to cook through as the potatoes was not done at 1 hour. The sauce was bubbling happily towards the last 45 minutes of cooking time. There's roasted garlic mixed into the sauce and it smells garlicky delicious. More roasted garlic the next time!


As suggested by David, we had the scalloped potatoes with some green salad, for lunch. My salad was plain, with no dressing, simply fresh green salad leaves and some sweet cherry tomatoes. The scalloped potatoes is delicious, both my son and daughter like it. 

Do stop by CtBF to view everyone's garlicky scalloped potatoes. We are cooking through David Lebovitz's cookbook, My Paris Kitchen. If you have the book or thought of getting one, please do, and join us! Full details here.




13 comments:

  1. I sliced the potatoes thinner than 1/4 inch thick and the baking time took an hour. You're right with longer cooking time. You got good color on the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely meal you got there! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I love the idea of Feta, pinning for later, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a wonderful recipe and I think it can be made with many variations. I also think that parboiling the potato might not be a bad idea. I know when I prepare potato and eggs, (an Italian dish) I always parboil the potatoes and they are tastier that way. Your dish looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dish looks beautiful! I'm sure it would be delicious with the feta as well, or other additions. This process works so well. We loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salad looks like a perfect foil for the rich potatoes. I'm not sure the potatoes can be overcooked in this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I can't wait to try this with different cheeses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummm, I love potatoes, but never tried blue cheese, maybe the smell and the blue veins keep putting me off, have to get over my fears and try it some day soon. have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. I combined feta and blue cheese and loved it too! Great minds think alike eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good show with using up some bits from the fridge and I can see the feta working quite well! I can also see goat cheese being delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine took a bit longer, too. It's nice to know that feta works so well in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dish looks great, I love the idea of feta in place of the blue cheese (but I love blue cheese too) this will be a nice alternative.

    ReplyDelete