Sunday, December 11, 2016

Millet Muffins

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), it is "Expand Your Pantry!" theme. I've made Heidi Swanson's, Millet Muffins. Millet is a new ingredient in my kitchen, I have never cooked with it before, so I thought that using it in a muffin recipe would be a good start. 






I've made half a recipe and yield only 5 muffins. I've used all-purpose flour instead of pastry flour. There's no sugar used in these muffins, sweetened by honey instead. There's lemon zest, lemon juice, yoghurt and barely melted butter. 



These Millet Muffins bakes up really nice with wonderful rise and golden top.



Lovely muffins. The crumbs are tender and soft. Not too sweet, with just the right sweetness from the honey, and crunch from the millet with a hint of the citrusy lemon. These are great with a cup of warm unsweetened tea. 


Millet Muffins
(Super Natural Everyday, Heidi Swanson or here)
2-11/4 cups (40gm) whole-wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup (60 gm) raw millet
1 teaspoon aluminium free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1 cup (225gm) plain yoghurt
2 large eggs, lighty beaten
1/2 cup (120ml) barely melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup (120ml) honey
grated zest and 2 tablespoons juice from one lemon

Preheat the oven to 400F/2015C with a rack in the top third of the oven. Butter a standard 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.
Whisk together the flour, millet, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs, butter, honey, and lemon zest and juice until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the flour is just incorporated. Divide the batter among the muffin cups, spooning a heaping 1/4 cup batter into each one, filling it a bit below the rim. 
Bake for about 15 minutes, until the muffin tops are browned and just barely beginning to crack. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn the muffins out of the pan to cool completely on the rack.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Expand Your Pantry!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds good, no sugar needed! I often wonder what to do with millet I see at SO... now I know. My DH might like them. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tender, moist and sweetened with honey...simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe was also on my list for this week! In fact, after looking at your pics I know I need to make them soon. I love all the little bits of millet running through the muffin - I'm sure it adds a lovely texture. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost made this one. It was on my list as well. Good to know it produces lovely results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often used millet in breads to give them some crunch. Thanks for sharing this muffin recipe, I should try millet in other dishes than bread or for breakfast "porridge"

    ReplyDelete