Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Blueberry-Buttermilk Pie Bars

This week at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD), baking from Dorie's Cookies, I've made Blueberry-Buttermilk Pie Bars. These bars are easy to make and yummy to eat.



Bottom layer is a buttery crust with some cornmeal mixed in for that added texture and the top is a layer of custard dotted with juicy blueberries.



I did reduce the sugar for both layers. For the crust, I've used only 50gm sugar, and for the custard layer, I've reduced the sugar to only 1/4 cup, half the amount calls for in the recipe. Which works out really well, as the bars are not too sweet, with just the right amount of sweetness. I've used frozen blueberries.



While I was slicing the baked bars into squares, the juicy blueberries squirted out its' juices when the knife cuts into them, surprising both my son and I!  These bars are quite delicious to eat, the cornmeal crust is tender and buttery. The custard reminds me of custardly Chinese egg tarts! Juicy blueberries bursting in every bite makes it such a delightful bar to enjoy!

If you would like to give this a try, the recipe can be found at Dorie's website, here.


7 comments:

  1. I don't like over sweetened desserts..so this is a perfect treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love blueberries and this looks delicious. I remember seeing it in her cookbook and will have to try it now. Thanks for sharing, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, we really didn't think these tasted all that sweet with the full amount of sugar in them. They still look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loved these best. I am not an eggy dessert kind of person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce,
    Blueberry tart looks yummy! Wish I could have a slice cos my big kids don't like blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering what these bars would be comparable to and egg tarts make complete sense! I'll have to make these for my Mom. I love egg tarts, but she LOVES them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bars look great, and I am imagining the deliciousness of blueberry juice squeezing out.

    ReplyDelete